Having a child in the 9-year-old stage, perhaps the issue that many parents are most…
How tall is a 5-year-old child?
From the age of 5 onwards, your child’s height will continuously increase. Keeping track of your child’s growth rate is very important to make sure he or she reaches the ideal height as an adult. How tall is a 5-year-old child ? What should I do to help my child grow to the maximum height?
- 1 Standard height and weight for 5 year olds
- 2 The benefits of regularly monitoring your child’s height and weight
- 3 What are the causes of slow growth in height?
- 3.1 Children are slow to increase height due to congenital diseases
- 3.2 Children slow to increase height due to hormonal imbalance
- 3.3 Children slow to increase height due to chronic diseases
- 3.4 Children are slow to grow in height due to bone diseases
- 3.5 Children are slow to grow in height due to mother’s health during pregnancy
- 3.6 Children are slow to grow in height due to lack of nutrition
- 4 How to increase height for 5-year-old children quickly and effectively
- 4.1 A healthy and balanced diet
- 4.2 Set up scientific meals for children
- 4.3 Use milk and dairy products sensibly
- 4.4 Use products that support height increase
- 4.5 Give your child enough water to drink
- 4.6 Avoid exposing children to stimulants
- 4.7 Let children sleep early and get enough sleep
- 4.8 Get in the habit of keeping the correct posture
- 4.9 Encourage children to exercise and be physically active
- 4.10 Help your child maintain a healthy weight
- 4.11 Related Posts
Standard height and weight for 5 year olds
According to statistics of the World Health Organization (WHO), the standard height and weight of a 5-year-old boy is 110.3cm – 18.5kg and the standard height and weight of a 5-year-old girl is 109.6cm – 18.3kg.
Parents can use rulers and scales to know the height and weight of their children. If the child is less than 100cm tall, it is advisable to quickly consider the nutrition and factors affecting the child’s development to soon improve this situation. Remember, childhood height development is the foundation for children to reach their ideal height in adulthood.
Weight is also noticeable when the child is 5 years old. If the boy’s weight is lower than 14.1 and higher than 24.2kg or the girl’s weight is lower than 13.7 or higher than 24.9kg, parents need to pay much attention to nutrition and exercise to maintain a reasonable weight for the child. Don’t forget that being underweight or overweight can both stunt your child’s height growth.
The benefits of regularly monitoring your child’s height and weight
Regular monitoring of the child’s height and weight is the best way to ensure the continued development of the child’s body through detecting and reducing the risk of disease, and helping parents have a scientific plan to maximum growth.
Ensure your child’s continued development
The height and weight are uniform, reflecting the health status of the baby. Tracking the growth process, parents can easily see if their child is growing healthy or not through the growth difference in the previous time.
Early detection of disease factors
If a child’s height increases too quickly or too slowly compared to the norm, the cause may stem from health. By monitoring these indicators, parents will soon detect the risk factors for the disease and have early improvement methods for their children.
Adjust the scientific growth plan for your child
From the age of 5 onwards, children need to meet more of their nutritional needs as well as maintain reasonable physical activities and activities to reach their full potential. From monitoring the child’s standard height and weight, parents will easily adjust the nutrition and activity time to help the child grow to the maximum.
What are the causes of slow growth in height?
According to medical experts, there are many causes of slow growth in height in children such as congenital malformations, rickets, malnutrition, hormone-related diseases, etc. Below are in-depth analysis. More about the reasons why children are slow to grow in height that parents need to understand.
Children are slow to increase height due to congenital diseases
- Noonan syndrome: Due to an alteration of certain dominant genes on the reward chromosome.
- Russell-Silver syndrome (RSS): Children with this syndrome are often underweight and underdeveloped physically than children in the same age group.
- Achondroplasia: This is a bone development disorder, people with the disease have short stature, short limbs.
Children slow to increase height due to hormonal imbalance
- Hypothyroidism: Decreases serum levels, decreases thyroid hormone levels, thereby affecting children’s growth.
- Cushing’s syndrome: Children with this syndrome often gain weight quickly, and early puberty may affect their height.
- Growth hormone deficiency: This condition can appear at any age, but the incidence is very low around 1 in 4000. When there is a lack of growth hormone, the child’s height will increase very slowly and stop early even though it is still in the developing age.
Children slow to increase height due to chronic diseases
Chronic diseases related to kidneys, heart, lungs or digestive diseases can also slow growth in height.
Children are slow to grow in height due to bone diseases
- Vitreous bone disease: Children’s bones will be very brittle and very easy to break even with light impact. This disease can be inherited.
- Osteoporosis: Hyperthyroidism or calcium deficiency can cause problems with bone formation in children, thereby increasing the risk of osteoporosis.
- Neonatal osteonecrosis: Children with this disease have thick bones but are very weak and break easily. However, this is a very rare condition.
Children are slow to grow in height due to mother’s health during pregnancy
During pregnancy, if the mother’s body does not have enough nutrition as well as regularly implements bad habits such as smoking, drinking alcohol, staying up late, the child may also slow down in height growth.
Children are slow to grow in height due to lack of nutrition
- Vitamin D deficiency can make young bones thin and fragile due to ineffective absorption of Calcium and Phosphorus. Vitamin D deficiency can also cause rickets and bow legs.
- Unbalanced diet: The body metabolizes the nutrients found in the bones for growth. However, an unbalanced diet will not be able to meet the required amount of nutrients.
Along with an unbalanced diet, being inactive and staying up late can also slow down the height growth of children.
How to increase height for 5-year-old children quickly and effectively
Parents can do the following ways to increase height for 5-year-old children:
A healthy and balanced diet
A balanced and healthy diet is very important because the amount of vitamins, minerals and protein from food will help you to increase your height effectively. Parents should spend time cooking nutritious meals for their children instead of giving them fast food and carbonated drinks. In addition to protein and carbohydrates, add vitamin D, calcium and zinc to your child’s daily diet.
- Protein is abundant in eggs, milk and dairy products like yogurt, cheese, meats like beef, poultry, fish, nuts and nut butters.
- Calcium and vitamin D are found in milk and dairy products, fish and mushrooms (vitamin D), green vegetables (especially cruciferous vegetables).
- Healthy fats are also a necessary part of the diet, including: Avocados, olives and olive oil, nuts, fatty fish.
- Iron is also important in growth, especially in girls. Iron can be supplemented from dark green leafy vegetables, beef, dark poultry, raisins, beans, etc.
Set up scientific meals for children
Nutritional balance in each meal is essential but that is not enough, scientific eating habits are also an important part. Parents should prepare for children 5 meals a day including 3 main meals and 2 snacks so that children always have enough energy for all activities of the day. During puberty, children need to eat more than that. It is important that parents do not let children skip meals every day, especially breakfast.
Use milk and dairy products sensibly
Milk provides an abundant source of nutrients for the development of 5-year-old children. It contains a large amount of Calcium which helps to strengthen bones and grow in length. Milk and dairy products are also high in vitamin A and protein. However, basically milk still contains a large amount of fat, so parents need to pay attention to only giving children a sufficient amount per day.
Use products that support height increase
There are many height increasing products on the market today. These products contain essential nutrients for bone growth such as Calcium, Collagen type 2, Zinc, vitamin D, vitamin K, etc. It is important for parents to choose quality products in combination with Scientific diet, exercise and sleep early to help your child increase height effectively.
Give your child enough water to drink
To help children improve their height to the maximum, parents do not forget to help their children ensure the amount of fluid for the body by drinking at least 2-3 liters of water per day. Water has a direct impact on increasing height by improving metabolism and eliminating toxins. Children can also provide water for the body by eating lots of fresh fruits, cucumbers, watermelons, etc.
Avoid exposing children to stimulants
According to the researchers, children who are directly or indirectly affected by nicotine tend to grow worse than those who are not. Therefore, parents or family members should limit smoking. In addition, parents should not expose children to alcohol too early, which can affect the height and affect the cognitive development of children.
Let children sleep early and get enough sleep
Sleep is an essential factor for the process of height growth whether the child is 5 years old or older. Studies have shown that getting 8 to 11 hours of sleep is necessary for healthy growth. Create a good sleeping environment for your child by avoiding noise, soft light, and cleaning blankets. In addition, taking a warm bath, drinking chamomile tea or a cup of warm milk also contributes to improved sleep quality.
Get in the habit of keeping the correct posture
Walking, standing, sitting, lying down with bad posture can cause the spine to bend, both reducing height and affecting the healthy development of children. Therefore, it is necessary to practice the habit of keeping the correct posture for children from now on. This habit can definitely help children look taller and brighter.
Encourage children to exercise and be physically active
If you want to help your child increase height quickly and effectively, encourage your child to exercise and be physically active instead of sitting on the phone. A scientific exercise schedule with enough activity intensity can promote the development of children.
- Light intensity exercise: Walking, running, climbing stairs, etc.
- Moderate intensity exercise: Stretching, yoga, cycling, etc.
- High intensity exercise: Swimming, football, volleyball, skipping rope, badminton,…
Help your child maintain a healthy weight
Children who want to grow taller continuously need to have an appropriate weight, because each skeleton can only support a certain weight. Excess weight can inhibit the growth of children due to an unbalanced diet, a tendency to be inactive. To help children maintain a healthy weight, parents need to avoid the following:
- Do not let children consume too many empty calories from fast food, carbonated drinks, fatty foods, etc.
- Let children exercise every day with exercises from low to high.
- Going to bed early is also a way to reduce the incidence of obesity in children.
5 years old is the time when children need to build a solid foundation for the outstanding development at puberty. Many studies have shown that poor growth during puberty can affect the following stages, as a result, children cannot reach the standard height as adults. Therefore, in addition to building a plan to increase height for children, do not forget to regularly monitor the growth process of children.
- Related post: Does drinking milk increase height?